While eating a Clif bar at work today, I started thinking that there's got to be a way to make a protein bar with some simple ingredients that I keep at home that would have less sugar, less preservatives, and cost less money. Well...there is.
With only 7 ingredients you can make the same size bar with the same 10g of protein, 80 fewer calories, and 17 fewer grams of sugar. All around win.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Makes: 12 bars
What I used is in Italics. Use whatever you like or have in the pantry.
4 scoops protein (Designer Whey Chocolate)
1/4 cup peanut putter (Jif Extra Crunchy)
1/2 cup oats (Publix Old Fashioned)
1 cup almond milk (Trader Joe's Unsweetened Vanilla)
1/3 cup reduced sugar cranberries (Paradise Meadow LeanCrans)
1/4 cup raisins (Trader Joe's Organic Thompson Seedless)
1/2 cup almond flour (Trader Joe's Just Almond Meal)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. The texture should be very thick.
3. Place an overly long sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet so that it hangs off on side and can double over the sheet.
4. Spread mix onto the cookie sheet and fold over the parchment paper on top of the mix. This is the easiest way to press out the mix into a rectangle without it sticking to your hands or a spoon. Press down and spread out the mix until it is roughly .5 inches thick, and then cut off the remaining parchment paper (as shown in the photo).
5. Bake for 10 min.
6. Cut the bars into 12 equal rectangles. I wrapped them individually in foil and sealed them in a plastic bag for easy grab-and-go snacks or a quick breakfast.
Clif Bar - Chocolate Chip
- 250 Calories
- 10g Protein
- 22 g Sugar
Homemade, Better, Cheaper, Chocolate Raisin Protein Bars
- Same size as Clif bar
- 170 Calories
- 10g Protein
- 5g Sugar